Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Zoo

Yesterday we went to the famous Budapest zoo. In general I'm not a huge fan of zoos; the animal-lover in me erupts in the form of extreme grumpiness. However, I did enjoy my experience. The newest addition to the park is a baby rhino, the first ever born as a result of articifial insemination. Unfortunately the baby rhino wasn't out, but we saw lots of other animals. While it's definitely not necessary to go to Hungary to see zoo animals, it was a very inexpensive and relaxing way to spend an afternoon. I haven't had too much time to just unwind, and so watching Sting Rays swim in circles for 15 minutes was a fantastic stress reliever. However, we went into the Crocodile House and spotted the main attraction, but we had doubts as to whether or not he was real or merely a realistic statue. We stared at him for a good five mintes until finally he blinked. It occurred to me later that when adequate entertainment includes waiting for a Crocodile to blink, it might be time to evaluate my recreational activities.

School starts on Monday morning, and I think it will be really nice to get back into a normal life. While I've been having the time of my life, it's time to get onto a normal schedule and become really part of this city rather than a permenent tourist. I'm nervous for the math, but I think we'll all keep each other going.

I went rock climbing today. This is my second time going. It's not a beginner gym at all, but I'm doing my best. It's actually a very satisfying work out. While I do a lot of walking, the food here is so rich it's nice to find a healthy activity that I enjoy. My friend is amazing at climbing. He looks like spider man on the wall and can climb upside down and back and forth. It's insane. I make it a few feet off the ground at a time before I give up in a flood of giggles.

That's about the extent of my news at the moment. Good bye!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Betsy - I am loving "visiting" Hungary through your comments and photos. I love the photos - the architecture is fantastic.

Lori
(Martha's co-worker)