Monday, April 02, 2007

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

I'm in Istanbul, Turkey! It is simply fantastic. I don't even know where to begin explaining it. My hostel is situated directly between the Haggia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. The Haggia Sophia is a very famous church. It's design is that of a Mosque, I believe because it was converted to Christianity not long after it's construction. The interior is familiar, yet very different. It looks like a church, but much more Turkish. That sounds so bland and predictable, but it's a very interesting combination of taking crosses and putting them under huge Turkish hieroglyphics painted on the walls. When I have a better, faster internet connection, I'll post pictures of both the exterior and the interior.

The Blue Mosque is much newer, but more fascinating. Everyone has been in a church before, but no many people have been inside one of the most famous mosques in the world. Before entering you have to take off your shoes. Women must cover their heads with scarfs. Entering the mosque, there is a huge area for the men to pray. Off to the side, gated, there is a tiny hut for the women. While this troubles my feminist insticts, I am in their territory and I will respect their culture. The really cool thing about the Muslim religion happens at prayer time. At dawn, sunset, and three other times every day, each mosque (and there are tons and tons of them here) have a singer amplified over the city calling the population to prayer. They sing in an acopela, Turkish style. It's hard to describe unless you hear it. It's like yodeling meets African prayers.

We went to the Grand Bazaar today. It's the largest shopping center in the world. One of our group likened it to the small intestine. The area it takes up is seemingly small until you unravel it. Then it's longer than one would ever suspect. Inside the market they sell scarves, chess and backgammon sets, fake designer purses, Turkish delicacies, Turkish carpets, and many many other things. You have to haggle with the merchants, which is really fun, although mildly stressful. They are very aggressive. They call out to you, "excuse me," and "yes please" to get your attention. They try to usher you inside the shops and show you their wares. I was called the most beautiful lady in Istanbul, a Spice Girl and one of Charlies' Angels in a very short time span. Also, one man tried to sell me a carpet "for my dowry". Yikes! Welcome to Turkey!!

I had Turkish Ravioli yesterday. It was meat-stuffed pasta in a yogurt sauce with chili and garlic. It was really wonderful. Everything ordered here is in "yogurt." It's rather like sour creme, but a little runnier and sweeter. The other day I had chicken shish-kabob. It was really good, although it tasted surprisingly similar to the kebabs my mom makes on her grill. With every mean they give you a sweet white bread that doesn't need any butter. It's delicious.

Everyone is really quite nice here. While some of the time they are only nice in an attempt to sell you something, most of the time they are a genuine group of people who are all too ready to laugh and tease. It's a huge change from the cold Hungarians. It took some getting-used-to, but I think it'll be tough to return to the formality of Budapest.

When I have more time and a better internet connection speed I will post some absolutely fantastic pictures, so stay tuned. I'm here for 6 more days so there will be plenty of adventure to document!

2 comments:

jkeen said...

I LOVE Istanbul! If I had known you were going, I'd have sent you to my favorite purse-maker there. If you see this before leaving, be sure to visit the Spice Market, too.

Tehzeeb said...

Please tell me about this famous purse-maker .. I am traveling to Istanbul on Sunday, and would really like to know the best haunts for good quality replica handbags...